Friday, June 12, 2009

Lord of the Rings Sock Club Installment #3







Introducing:
The Fellowship

This design was inspired by the Fellowship of the Nine
Walkers in the Lord of the Rings. Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin,
Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, and Gandalf. Each
member of the Fellowship is depicted by one strand of the
cable. Worked from the toe up, the cable intertwines and
gradually unravels, just as the Fellowship traveled together
and then began to take separate paths.


This was a fun design to put together. I started with 9 strands to cable, then interwove and eventually separated them. The color I originally did it in was this:






Which turned out nice- but it needed just a little boost. With The Unique Sheep's Gradiance technique of dyeing yarn, we were able to incorporate some story into the color as well as the traveling cables. Blue typically stands for courage and Red for danger. Green can signify growth, health, and inexperience. Purple is associated with nobility. The flow of the colors along the traveling cables enhances the symbolism of the journey of The Fellowship.

I am so pleased with how this sock turned out and the response we are getting from the club about it. It was Laura's (the dyer) personal favorite, and probably my 2nd favorite.
I should have posted this a couple weeks ago- but with the move and all, I've been a bit busy. But here it is now, and I hope you like it too!
Like all the patterns from this club, this one will be available for purchase 6 months after the club. :-)

2 comments:

Megan said...

This sock pattern is so pretty. I didn't like the Lord of the Rings movies (sorry, I really wanted to) but I would still knit these, they are just so intricate looking.

Cloudberry said...

That a really beautiful sock!!