Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Food

It seems like all I think about about, all I do, all I talk about, all my kids talk about anymore is food. I'm even dreaming of it. It's exhausting. I feel like I'm obsessed. Well, I am, in a way. I have to be. I wish I didn't.

We're about 10 days into the adventure of the GAPS diet with the whole family, and at the moment, our lives pretty much revolve around food. It's getting better- but it's still the main topic, the main job, the main thing we do.

It won't always be like this, but jumping in to a new dietary routine- especially one so specific- is going to take a lot of adjusting to. And there doesn't seem to be any time to adjust, as right now, we add something new to the routine daily. That's why it's called an "Intro" diet......because you are constantly "introducing" something new....

So for now, we have to eat almost every 2 hrs. (It sounds ridiculous, but it's mostly soup, so believe me, you want to eat every 2 hrs.)  The first 5 days with the kids on it were so hard! I only have one that ever really liked soup to begin with, and they missed all the yummy treats like bread and cereal and pancakes, and and and.... But they are awesome kids. 10 days into it, and my difficulty is not in getting them to eat- it's in making enough food to keep up with all their eating!

I'm not kidding. I have to get up at 5:30 with Joel because I'm the one that's done all the studying and knows the schedule and what we're adding today and what he needs to have in his lunch- plus I have to get up early enough to get breakfast ready for the kids- half of which typically get up around 6 anyway, and they are hungry!  So I cook, pack food, clean the dishes, cook more food, wash the pots and refill them, cook more food, chop veggies, make tea, grate ginger, and all that jazz from about 5:30 until it's done-ish. Which usually means I sit down long enough in the morning to eat and feed the 3 year old (who refuses to feed himself this odd food- he'll eat it, but his usual comment is "Ah, dang it!"), then work until the next time I need to feed the 3 year old; then repeat. This is not an exaggeration. I'm spending over 6hrs in the kitchen on any given day at this point- and Saturdays are twice as bad because Friday is grocery day.  On Saturday, I have to peel, chop, and freeze the mountain of vegetables I brought home so we have enough for the whole week.

Is it any wonder that I'm dreaming of cooking and of food?

But really, with all that, things are going pretty well. After all, I have the ability to BE spending this much time in the kitchen! Six weeks ago, I could not have done this. So, no matter how hard it is, I am thankful. Thankful that I am healthy enough to help my family get healthy. Thankful that I haven't had a major allergic reaction for over 5 weeks. Thankful that for the first time in 19 years, today, I ate a dairy product with no reaction. Yes, I had ghee. And I was/am fine.

As much as I dislike being so obsessed with food, it's temporary (I will get the hang of this, and after the intro is done, it won't be quite so much work)- and it's working. God is using this to heal us, and I am nothing but thankfulness, no matter how tired I might be.

No comments: