Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Prep

Today, I made GAPS food.

Sauerkraut- with red onions, Ghee, and the one in the back is the beet kvass refilled. The ghee shown is from 1 pan; I actually did 2, so had double that. From 4lbs of organic butter, and it keeps for 5 months in the pantry. We'll see how fast we go through it when the rest of the family is eating it. I'm not yet. I'm putting off the dairy and eggs until I'm done with the intro at this point, just because I've had so many issues with eggs and dairy in the past.

Sauerkraut is really very easy. I think I want to try it with red cabbage sometime, just to see if it has a different flavor.
1 cabbage, sliced thinly
1 onion, chopped fine
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
1-2 Tablespoons of coarse sea salt.
Put it all in a Large bowl, wash your hands, and start kneading. Knead until the cabbage is fairly soft, and there are juices coming out when you push or squeeze.  Spoon the 'kraut into a glass jar, and with a "pounder" (mine is a 1.5" dowel cut and sanded), pound the 'kraut down to get all the air out. Add more and repeat until all the 'kraut is well pounded in the jar. Cover with a bit of cabbage leaf torn off to fit the jar. Cover snugly, place in a warm dry place (with a dish under in case it foams out of your jar) for 5-7 days, then put it in the fridge. (not in the back, as it may freeze and kill all the good bacteria.) Enjoy!  You can also add different spices. I do one where I add shredded carrots and finely grated ginger. You can also add pepper. I've heard of a curry one that is supposed to be quite good. Not being a fan of curry, I haven't tried it. The kids prefer the basic 'kraut, I like the ginger. I may try one with thyme at some point, as I really like thyme. It's an easy one to play with and find what tastes good to you. :)

I'm doing all this now in preparation. On Saturday, we become a GAPS family, instead of just a GAPS mom. My family is so great, and I have the most supportive husband ever. I am very interested to see just how this diet affects the rest of my family!

No comments: