Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wear and Tear

Yes, I am late blogging this week. It's been crazy around here. Last week, my Roo (18months) had to go to the Dr. twice. He had a double ear infection and bronchiolitis (the beginnings of pneumonia). He's much better now. It's so great to have my busy happy Roo back. :D



But then this week, my Bear (5 yrs) had to go to the Dr. He has sinusitis and walking pneumonia. I don't know what it is this year, but the sicknesses just won't leave us. It just cycles through. By the time the last one is getting well, the first one is getting sick again. I think it's just the season. The rain will not stop this year!


We did have some gorgeous sunshine this week, so I am hoping the end is near, and we can get everything dry so the germs will die out.





This week I had to throw away a garment I had knit several years ago.


These pants have been all over the place. I made them for my Buddy (now 7) when he was about 3. He outgrew them when Bear was 3, so they went to Bear. They instantly became Bear's favorite pants ever (isn't that the best feeling for a knitting mother?!), and he wore them constantly. Over the last year, they have been repaired at least 3 times. Well, this week, they became irreparable.

I could have fixed that. I've fixed similar several times. In fact, one of the similar repairs is right next to that hole. But then I started looking at them closely. If I had repaired that hole, the yarn was set to tear in at least 3 places next to it. So I looked at the other leg.







It's a bit blurry, but can you see it? That stitch that is held by a thread smaller than embroidery thread? And directly above a previous repair? I really can't complain. These pants lasted 4 years of being worn whenever they were clean and find-able. For going through 2 very active boys that wear out a pair of store-bought pant knees within 5 days(yes, literally), I'm pleased. In fact, I may need to knit a few more pairs of pants for these boys, they like them so much- and they really last well. But if they can go through Red Heart that fast, I'm not using my nice wool for the new pants!!

It's kinda funny that this should happen now. According to the 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week (yeah, I know it was 3 weeks ago- like I said, I'm doing it to work with my time frame. ;D), this is what I would be blogging about:




Day Four: 31st March. Where are they now?

Whatever happened to your
__________?

Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it
be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another
person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.

There are a lot of different aspects to look at when looking back at a
knitting project and it can make for interesting blogging, as much of the time
we blog about items recently completed, new and freshly completed. It is not so
often that we look back at what has happened to these items after they have been
around for a while.

How has one of your past knits lived up to wear.
Maybe an item has become lost. Maybe you spent weeks knitting your giant-footed
dad a pair of socks in bright pink and green stripes which the then ‘lost’. If
you have knit items to donate to a good cause, you could reflect on the was in
which you hope that item is still doing good for it’s owner or the cause it was
made to support.






A long time ago...after I'd been knitting for about 2 or 3 yrs, I heard or read somewhere that you should keep track of your knitting projects- have a journal or something with pics of your FO's. I thought that was a cool idea, so I started doing that; and promptly realized that I'd already lost track of an unknown number of handknits. I was shocked at how much I had knit in a short time and it was so cool to go back and see the pictures of things I had made. I tried to get the pics of the FO's on the intended recipients too, so that was especially fun. Especially since I give away most of my knitting. Then Ravelry came along, and the project page performs the function of a journal. Either way, it's a great idea to keep track of your FO's.




I still journal my knits- but now it's a design journal. There's no pictures in it anymore, the pics end up on the finished pattern, but I still have a record of it in the journal. It's really cool to look back in occasionally. So far, I've filled one project/design journal and now I'm working on my second. I wonder how many I can fill? How many can you fill?







Also, have you seen? http://www.socksummit.com/teachers/ It's official. I am once again honored to be a part of the madness that is sock knitting gone viral.


I can hardly wait.

No comments: