Monday, November 7, 2011

A Little Purple Hat

This story is just a bit on the late side. It actually happened a little over a week ago. But I have been so busy with school, kids stuff, and other knitting in the meantime I haven't taken the time to blog.

Not last weekend, but the weekend before, I sat down to knit a little purple hat for a baby. I grabbed some nice warm wool, because the baby this is intended for will be living in Canada. Canada in the winter is cold.
The yarn is Plymouth Galway Chunky.  The pattern is the hat from the Bouncing Baby set in Homespun, Handknit- which you may recognize from the YarnHarlot's blog a couple months ago.

I chose this pattern because after the intensity of the lace on the pink blob (which did turn out totally gorgeous by the way- and she does love it- but you can't see it 'til it's published, sorry), I desperately needed some instant gratification- and garter stitch.
So I happily sat down and cast on- with larger yarn and larger needles than the pattern calls for. Didn't swatch, just started merrily knitting away. You'd think I'd know better.
Half a day later, I realized that I was almost out of yarn, and not even halfway done with the hat. Hmmmmm.
This is what I had:
(remote for scale). Even my 8 year old laughed at me when I replied to his "Whatcha makin' Mama?", with "A baby hat." Yeah, not a baby hat. Not at that rate.
So I sat down, frogged the whole thing. Turned on a movie, cast on a good deal less stitches, did a minimum of math, and started merrily knitting again.

Three hours later, I had this:
(remote for scale, again) Much more like what I was looking for. I happily went to bed, got up in the morning and did some seaming, and got this:

I think it will do a great job of keeping a little Canadian girl's head nice and warm- and cute at the same time.

No comments: