Thursday, March 31, 2011

Silly me

Oh wow, I'm so out of it these days! :blushing: I just now realized that THIS is the Knit and Crochet Blog Week. Oh well. I'm doing it, I'm just not doing it every day. I still don't know if I can blog next week, but I will complete the Knit and Crochet Blog Week over time.

So today I'm supposed to talk about how my knitting skills have improved over the last year.

I can't even remember what I was knitting at this time last year. I do keep a knitting journal of sorts- at this point it's more a design workbook- but I'm not so good at dating the projects. I need to start working on that.

If I remember correctly, over the last year, I have worked on a few new skills.

I've definitely been knitting faster since I took the YarnHarlot's Speed Knitting class at Sock Summit 09- granted, that was almost 2 years ago, but it took several months to get any sort of speed with it because it changed the way I knit.

I knit/designed my first knee-high sock. That was a fun new skill to learn. Lots of research went into that one in an attempt to not frog constantly. I also took a class on knee-highs at SS09, so I was happy to be able to use the lessons I learned.

It seems like I've knit/designed mostly socks over the last year. A couple non-sock projects that I got to do something new in really stand out-

I used my first lace-weight yarn and knit/designed my second Cowl pattern. That was a fun one, and I think it turned out really well.

I did my first steek this past year. That was a scary one. Another that I think turned out well. Which is good. I've been meaning to learn that skill for several years now, and I'm pretty pleased that I finally did it- and with success! Enough success that I intend to use that new skill again a couple of times within this upcoming year of designing. :D

I love the fact that I am still learning in knitting. I love being challenged and doing new things. I'm sure I've said this over and over, but I love that you can knit for years and years and not learn all there is to learn in knitting. I've been knitting for 7 years now, and can't see the end of what I get to learn yet. I'm not sure there is an end. And I'm so stoked on that.

I'm also very happy that as soon as I finish this sock I've got on the needles right now, I get to turn my attention to things other than socks. I intend to not knit a sock for at least 6 months. Not because I don't like them; but because I need a creative break. I am running out of design inspiration for socks. When I start feeling like it's all been done, it's a pretty good signal that I need to rest on that one. I like socks, and I think I'll come back to them soon, but I need to enjoy these other designs that I've been shoving to the back burner for the last 2 years. I anticipate finishing this sock this weekend, and then on to sweaters and mitts, hats and scarves, pants, cardigans, and maybe a blanket or two. I have a big book of patterns to put together and lots of ideas to solidify for it. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Peru!!! :)